Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What is a counter-riposte anyway?

The most difficult aspect of beginning a blog like this is being aware of an audience. This is considered public "journaling", but the key word is public. At first, I felt like I would have to make some sort of overarching introduction and justify myself to you, the reader. However, do I really need to do that? If you're reading this...you're already reading it, so there's no point in subsequently trying to convince you to read it.

There is another reason why I don't necessarily want to touch the traditional introduction at this time. Who am I? Or more importantly I suppose, who am I in this space? Well, I don't know. That's what I'm here to find out aren't I...in published form. I like it. Bring it on!

What this blog may have in store:
This won't be a themed blog, despite it's appearance at the moment. That feels far too limiting, since I may be going for some sort of (yes I know it's cliched...wait for it...) self discovery here. All nagging thoughts and ramblings are fair game. You are henceforth forewarned that you will be provided with the means to read far more about the world of fencing than you may have ever wanted to in your life (as if you couldn't tell from the layout :P). I will also attempt to wax poetic about dance, food, a bit of paganism, the Sherlockian world, you name it. In fact, I am quite content to sit back and just type.

And now for the awaited answer (for the non-fencing folk): Counter-riposte is a fencing term, of course. First, you initiate the attack against your opponent. Your opponent parries and then attacks you, but you do not run away or allow them to hit you. You retake the ability to attack with a parry of your own and finish the attack, scoring the point. That final action is the counter-riposte, in effect, giving you the last word. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment