Monday, March 8, 2010

Home Away From Home - The Comstock House

Spring Break always signifies a time to relax and get away from daily stressers. As much as I love Bryn Mawr, there is always a sense of urgency from which I need some time away. One of my favorite places of escape is my uncles' B&B in Vermont. Ever since they bought the Comstock House and rebuilt it from a 19th Century ramshackle farmhouse, it has been one of my favorite places on Earth, and it certainly didn't let me down this break for many reasons:

  1. Gorgeous Vermont vistas: Rolling fields, extensive woods, rich farm land, duck ponds and snow capped mountains. The works. You can see any number of these things as part of the 360 degree panoramic view.
  2. Delicious REAL food: My uncles have always been good cooks and now cooking is part of their living. They create the most delicious dishes featuring ingredients fresh from their farm; fresh eggs and chicken, lamb, vegetables. They even bake their own bread and make their own jam. I had the best lamb stew EVER this weekend!
  3. Real Vermont maple syrup: quite self explanatory
  4. Baby lambs!: Visiting during spring break means lambing season, and two dozen little white, black, or white AND black puffs of wool. The little darlings really are the cutest things I've ever seen. The last two were born a couple of hours before I arrived, so I got to see newborns this year!
  5. Hiking/Snowshoeing
  6. Little town of Plainfield, VT: Town where the Comstock House is located. Cutest town center ever! Main highlights = River Run restaurant that has been there forever, used/antique book store, local artisan craft store, and a yoga/meditation studio.
  7. City of Montpelier, VT: There are so many discoveries to be made in this city. This time I got to see the T. W. Wood art gallery that currently houses the State Collection with pieces that were commissioned for state buildings. Of course, a stop at the Hunger Mountain Co-op is always in order.
  8. Hunger Mountain Co-op: Just calling this a health food store would be an understatement. Not only is it my favorite health food store, it is a community fixture with information about events, activism, and opportunities to get involved on a local level.
  9. Relaxing start to Spring Break
*pictures will be added once I get them loaded to my computer :)*

No comments:

Post a Comment