Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Bryn Mawr Tea

Tea – I think of a drink that is delicious, flavorful, spicy, and sharp. I can always focus on my work better if I have a good cup of tea, because it is so inherently Bryn Mawr to me. Bryn Mawr students, including my friends and I, have been known on occasion to brag about our extensive tea collections, and we will see who has the most exotic teas. I also think it is important to look into sustainable, fair trade teas as well. Tea is comforting, because it can always be expected that if someone is sick or extremely stressed out, someone will visit them and bring them a cup of tea.

Teas are also the name for meetings, small party/gatherings, etc on Bryn Mawr’s campus. These can be hall teas, dorm teas, club teas, open campus teas, etc. There doesn’t have to be tea present. Sometimes you can find tea there, sometimes you can’t. However, the essence/emotional response to “meeting for tea” or a classy “tea party” is preserved.

I also participate in Scottish Country Dance, and this activity incorporates the use of tea as a social fixture as well. Balls have a break halfway through for tea, allowing people to enjoy refreshments, actual tea and mingling. This is actually written into the program. Some of the more informal social dances are referred to as Tea Dances. Tea plays a large role there too. Finally, even the Bryn Mawr dance class concludes with a meeting for announcements and tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment