Wednesday, April 28, 2010

If Sherlock Holmes was Gay...or had any sexual inclinations, really

Sorry, this post isn't really that interesting. It's just speculation to start out the next phase of my English major. I am going back to Gillette Castle and am continuing on my journey toward becoming a Sherlockian. After the English major's meeting I have even more motivation to do so. I have known for a while that I want to write my thesis on Sherlock Holmes. I don't know exactly what critical lens I will be using, but gender and sexuality studies has been my focus so far, and I am still fascinated by the subject. I can definitely use William Gillette's Sherlock Holmes play as a supplementary text. Last summer I spent a couple of days stewing jealously as an employee at the castle watching two grad students use the castle archives for research purposes, while not being allowed in myself. Now I have my own research purposes. This summer I may actualize a Holmes geek's dream - exploring the archives, and possibly drooling over the first editions and random Holmes paraphernalia at Baskerville Hall.

I will conclude with this clip from the recent Sherlock Holmes movie, which I must say was completely slashtastic...this may end up being the theme song for my thesis :P

If you were gay...

No comments:

Post a Comment