Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Midsummer Goals

After the end of this semester, I will be headed back to Connecticut, because of my job for the summer. Well, most of the summer. I will be spending a week in Atlanta for summer national championships for fencing! After completely tanking in the foil event, I took third place in the women's sabre event at the Philadelphia qualifiers and am headed to nationals!

However, I have my work cut out for me this summer - converting foilists. I didn't actually think I could even be a decent fencer until I got here, because I didn't discover my true weapon until I got here. It suddenly dawned on me that the reason I sucked so much as a foilist was the fact that I am actually a saberist. That was cool! I never got a chance to try sabre in Connecticut, because the fencing culture there is still a bit elitist. They want to preserve the old foil clubs. Recently some of these clubs have deigned to accept epeeists, but sabre is still shut out of all clubs on a regular basis except for one - on the complete opposite end of the state form me. However, some of the younger high school foilists have become fascinated by sabre recently. My job when I get back to my home club is to become a catalyst for this interest, so I can have some saberists to fence with. It's a cool weapon, I swear! July 9th is my goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment